Remote Access Checklist
- Do you have everything you need to work remotely?
- Technology (laptop, internet access, etc.), software (Zoom account, remote access, etc.) or access links.
- Test logging in if you are not already familiar in SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, GoToMeeting, Blackboard, Webmail, Michener Remote Desktop and similar services.
- A list of remote resources available to you is available on our knowledgebase here. We will update this list if available resources change.
Additionally, the following are best practices when using the available technologies:
Best Practices for Remote Access
- Access Email via the webmail or a local client:
- Outlook on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android
- Mail on iOS
- Gmail on Android
- Store personal documents on OneDrive.
- Chat and collaborate with your team via Microsoft Teams and SharePoint on your local computer rather than the Remote server.
- Schedule meetings using Teams (internal Michener) or Zoom (with external users)
- Please do not utilize the Mitel Conferencing service. Large meetings will exhaust our available phone lines and block people from calling in to Michener.
- The Michener Remote Desktop server should only be utilized when you have exhausted all other options.
- The infrastructure of the Remote Desktop server is not designed to support the entire organization all connecting remotely at once and if resources on the remote server are strained, we will need to prioritize access.
- For more details on appropriate use of the Michener Remote Desktop server, please review this article.